San Benito

San Benito Superior Court General Information

Honorable Harry J. Tobias, Presiding Judge
Honorable Steven R. Sanders, Judge
Title IV-D Commissioner Jean Zlotkin
Court Executive Officer- Gil Solorio
Court Manager- Nancy Iler
Our Locations:

Superior Court
(Small Claims , Civil, Family and Probate Filings Room 205)
440 Fifth Street, Hollister, California 95023-3833
(corner of Monterey and Fifth Street)
Telephone: 831.636.4057
Traffic Information: 831.637.3968
Small Claims and Limited Civil: 831.636-4057
Jury Call-in: 831.637.7975
FAX: 831.636.2046

Family Court Services Mediator and Facilitator, and Self Help Center
390 Fifth Street, Hollister, California, 95023-3833

Family Court Mediator: 831.636.4425
Family Law Facilitator: 831. 636.4079

Self Help Center 831.636.5197,

FAX: 831.636.4117

Court Filings

Filing Hours: 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. Monday-Friday

Fax Filing
To file by fax, call 1.800.487.4567
This service is provided by Official Payment Corporation, formerly known as US Audiotex.

Local Rule 10.3(e): If fax received after 4:00 p.m. or on a court holiday or Saturday or Sunday, it shall be deemed filed on the next court date.

Local Rule 10.3(j): Fax filing is limited to 25 pages total.

Order Appointing Investigator on Guardianship Form (PDF Format)

Our Hours:

Both locations are opened from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday-Friday



Local Resources for San Benito County:

Community Solutions Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault

24 Hour Crisis Hotline: 1-877-363-7238


Domestic Violence Shelter

Emmaus House, Domestic Violence Shelter for Women and Children, Hollister, CA

24 Hour Crisis Hotline 1-877-778-7978 or 831-636-7224

Victim Witness

Division of the District Attorney’s Office
419 Fourth Street
Hollister, CA 95023
Office Hours: Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.


Local Law Enforcement Agencies:

Emergencies call 911

Hollister Police Department
(non-emergency) (831) 636-4330

Sheriff Department, County San Benito
(non-emergency) (831) 636-4080


The National Domestic Violence Hotline Number:

1-800-799-7233/SAFE and web address

Safe At Home, Confidential Address Program,

California Secretary of State

State Program for victims of domestic violence that includes: Confidential mail forwarding program, suppression of DMV records, confidential name change, registration to vote without address being made public.  To sign up you must contact an enrolling agent in your community such as Community Solutions listed above, or call 1-877-322-5227.


Restraining Order Procedures

Where Do I Go to Get Restraining Order Paperwork? Where is the Clerk of the Court?

Superior Court of California
County of San Benito
440 Fifth St., Room 205
Hollister, CA 95023
(831) 636-4057, telephone hours 8 am – 4 pm

You may also contact an attorney, legal document assistance (formerly known as a paralegal), Community Solutions or Victim Witness to see if they can help you prepare the court papers to request a restraining order (see first page for phone numbers for Community Solutions and Victim Witness).

What is the First Thing I Should Do?

Call 911 if you are in immediate danger.  Consult an attorney if you have questions regarding your legal rights.

Talk to local, regional, or national domestic violence agencies (see first page for phone numbers for some domestic violence agencies).

Obtain the free packet of domestic violence forms from the clerk’s office (440 Fifth Street, Room 205, and M-F: 8-4)

Where Can I Go to Have the Papers Served?

The San Benito County Sheriff’s Department 451 4th Street, Hollister, phone 636-4080 will serve restraining order paperwork (note there maybe a fee charged depending on the type of restraining order you need served).

You can also ask someone you know, who is over 18 years old, to serve the papers or hire a private process server (see yellow pages for local process servers).  If someone over 18 serves the papers they must complete a proof of service stating the papers were served by them to the restrained party.

Bail Schedule for San Benito County

San Benito County Traffic Court

If you have received a traffic ticket or have multiple traffic violations in San Benito County

To Pay Your Fine Via Credit/Debit Card Please Click Here

To Pay Your Fine By Phone Please Call (831)636-4027

I believe I am innocent – how do I fight the ticket?

Alternatively, if you know your rights and you are willing to give up your automatic right to attend traffic school, write on the courtesy notice, “I understand my options and I request a court trial,” sign and date it, and return it to us in the envelope included with your courtesy notice. Writing this language on the courtesy notice indicates that you understand you are giving up your automatic right to go to traffic school. You and the officer will be notified of the trial date.

I’m willing to plead guilty, but I’m eligible to attend traffic school (review eligibility guidelines below).

You must plead guilty, pay the amount of the bail, plus a $52 administrative fee. There will also be a separate fee payable at the class you attend. Send that amount to us and we will send you the information on traffic school for your area. You will have approximately 60 days from the time we process your payment to complete traffic school and return your completion certificate to us.

Not all violations require a mandatory hearing. If you were charged with an infraction (such as a moving violation), this date is a pay OR appear date. If you were charged with a misdemeanor, your appearance is mandatory.

The courtesy notice will be sent to the address on your ticket that was taken from your driver’s license. If you do not receive a notice at least one week prior to your pay/appear date, call (831) 636-4027 and we will research it for you.

Do I still have to pay the fine if I’m eligible to attend traffic school?

Yes. You must pay the bail amount plus a $52 court administrative fee.

Yes. The $52 administrative fee covers the cost of the Court processing the paper work with the DMV so the point does not go on your record. The schools have their own fee for putting on the class that range anywhere from $25 and up.

Can I attend traffic school online, video or home study?

Yes. You need to contact the court for more information. (831) 636-4027.

Do I count the 18 months for traffic school from the date I went to traffic school or from the date I received the ticket?

The 18 months is figured from violation date to violation date of when you received your tickets.

COURT TRIAL – If you would like to contest the traffic citation you must request that your case be set for a court trial. The Court will arrange to have the officer that issued the ticket present for the trial. If you contest the citation and are found guilty you will be GIVING UP YOUR AUTOMATIC RIGHT TO ATTEND TRAFFIC SCHOOL. You will need to request a court trial in writing indicating that you are aware you may no longer have the option of traffic school. You may also request a court trial via our automated phone system or our online system. You MUST post bail in order to complete your request for a court trial (per VC40519). You will be notified of your trial date by mail. You can post your bail by credit/debit card, check, cash, or money order. Automated phone system can be used by dialing 831-636-4027 and our web address is If you are unable to post bail, you may contact the court Monday through Friday from 8:00am-4:00pm for further instruction.

PROOF OF INSURANCE -If your proof of insurance shows you had insurance at the time of the citation, there is a $25 proof of correction fee. If your proof of insurance shows you obtained insurance after the date of the citation, the fine is $350.00 and up.

TRAFFIC SCHOOL ELIGIBILITY – You may only attend traffic school for moving violations. You may NOT attend traffic school if any of the following occur: (1) if violation is a misdemeanor; (2) if violation is alcohol related; (3) if mandatory court appearance is required; (4) if you have attended traffic school anywhere within the last 18 months; or (5) if you were cited for driving in excess of 25 miles per hour over the speed limit. Effective September 20, 2005, Commercially-licensed drivers and those possessing hazardous materials endorsements are not eligible to attend traffic school for dismissal purposes.

TRAFFIC SCHOOL FEES – You will be required to pay a fee in the sum of $52.00, plus the amount of bail indicated on your courtesy notice, payable to “Superior Court”. There will be a separate fee at the class you attend.

Approved Traffic School Information-Click Here