Santa Cruz

Call Luna Bail Bonds Santa Cruz! 831.429.1111 !!

Due to the nature of Santa Cruz County, bail bonding is prevalent. There are many bail bonds companies in Santa Cruz including Luna Bail Bonds. Luna Bail Bonds Santa Cruz’s motto is that we can help in any situation. We offer better discounts and financing on bail bonds than any other company. You have to remember, if it seems too good to be true it probably is. At Luna Bail Bonds Santa Cruz we are honest from the get-go. We don’t sell you dreams, we tell you exactly how it is and we promise to work till our last dying breath to get your loved ones out of jail. Bail Bonds in Santa Cruz can be confusing. That is why we at Luna Bail Bonds Santa Cruz are here to help you and your loved ones in your time of need. Jail is not good. In America you are innocent until proven guilty. If this is the case, shouldn’t you deserve to be free until proven guilty? That is where Luna Bail Bonds Santa Cruz comes into play. We will fight for your loved ones right for freedom without any B.S. no matter what the situation is.

Fees and Bail Schedules

Santa Cruz Courthouse General Information

Santa Cruz Courthouse

Santa Cruz Court

701 Ocean Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95060

(831) 420-2200

Watsonville Courthouse

Watsonville Courthouse

1 Second Street
Watsonville, CA 95076

(831) 786-7200

Contacting the Court in Person

You can visit the courthouses at the addresses shown above.

Please refer to the individual “Division” pages for hours of operation.

Contacting the Court by Mail

The mailing address for all departments are located on their respective sections.

Contacting the Court by Email

Family Law/ Juvenile Dependency
Juvenile Delinquency
Small Claims
News and Media
Self Help

Important information about emailing the Court

If your situation is time-sensitive and needs immediate attention, do not rely on emailing the court. Even if you email the court, you are still responsible for coming to court, making payments, etc. by the date you have been given by the court. Contact the court in person or by phone (see above) in these cases. To email a court department, use the appropriate email address listed above.

Emailing Judicial Officers: Judicial Officers cannot accept email from litigants. If you need to discuss an issue with the Judicial Officer in your case, you must file the required court forms to schedule a court hearing. Remember that you have to give notice to all parties and their attorneys of record, by serving them with a copy of the forms after you file them.

Santa Cruz Criminal Courts

The Criminal Division has jurisdiction over felonies, misdemeanors, and some infractions.

Criminal cases are only filed in the Santa Cruz Division.  Payments on traffic cases and existing fine payment plans set on criminal cases are accepted at the Watsonville Division.

Pay Your Fines

You may make payments on your criminal fine if you have already pled guilty and have set up a payment arrangement.

There is no web access to criminal and traffic case information at this time.

Delinquent Fines:

If your fine is delinquent and has been assigned to AllianceOne (the court’s collection agency) all questions must be directed to AllianceOne at 1-877-541-8420.  Or you may contact a representative at 701 Ocean Street, Room A1, Santa Cruz, CA 95060.


1. How do I pay my fine?

Online- mail or in person – Santa Cruz Superior Court, 701 Ocean Street, Room 120, Santa Cruz, CA 95060 (Include your case number)Santa Cruz Superior Court drop box (located at the address above)Watsonville Division located at 1 Second Street, Room 300, Watsonville, CAReminder: Failure to pay a fine on or before the due date may result in one or all of the following:
  • A Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) hold being placed on your driver’s license.
  • An additional failure to pay violation
  • A civil assessment charge of $300.00

2.What happens if I miss my court date?If you fail to appear in court, the judge will issue a bench warrant for your arrest. 3. What if I have an outstanding warrant?In some circumstances you may appear at the clerk’s office to set up a new court date, otherwise you must appear at the Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Department.4. How can I change my court date?You cannot change your court date on any criminal case. If you have an attorney, contact your attorney for assistance. If you posted a bail bond, contact the bail company. If you are on formal probation, contact your probation officer.5.What if I can’t afford an attorney?You must appear in court to determine if you are eligable for court-approved counsel.6.Where should I go when I come to court?Look for your name, the courtroom department and the time your case will be heard on the calendar posted outside the Clerk’s Office – Room 120. If you are unable to find your name or locate a calendar, please check with the clerk.7.How long should I plan to be in Court?Expect to be in court for a substantial portion of the day.8. What are the different types of hearings?Arraignment: Reading of your Constitutional rights, advisement of the charges, entering a plea.Pretrial Hearing: A conference between parties (prosecutor and defendant/counsel) regarding the settlement of the case.Preliminary Hearing: A felony hearing by a judicial officer to determine if there is sufficient evidence to bind a defendant over for trial.Jury/Court trial: The examination of evidence and the decisions of the issues of law by a judge or jury to determine guilt or innocence.9. What is a Civil Assesment charge?Failure to pay your fines as directed may result in the court referring your case to a collections agency and an additional $300.00 fee being added pursuant to Penal Code Section 1214.110. How do I receive a copy of my court documents?If you have a case number and you would like copies of the file, complete the request form along with a check with the words “NOT TO EXCEED $50.00” to cover the initial cost of the copies. You will be notified by mail or phone should the cost exceed $50.00. Checks and money orders should be made to Santa Cruz Superior Court and mailed to:Santa Cruz Superior Court,
County of Santa Cruz
Attn: Records Request
701 Ocean Street, Room 120
Santa Cruz, CA 9506011. How can I get a criminal background check done?You may submit a written request form for a Criminal Background Check. The court will only research Santa Cruz County criminal record information on cases dating from 1994 to present. You must provide known accurate data such as a specific name, date of birth, social security number, driver’s license number, etc.If your case is older than 1994, you can use the public microfiche located in the Criminal Records Unit at 701 Ocean St, Room 120 Santa Cruz.12. How can I clean up my criminal record?Please refer to the California Courts Self Help Website

Contact Information

Office Location:
Superior Court of California,
County of Santa Cruz
701 Ocean Street, Room 120
Santa Cruz, CA 95060

Mailing Address:
Superior Court of California,
County of Santa Cruz
Criminal Division
701 Ocean Street, Room 120
Santa Cruz, CA 95060

(831) 420-2200

Filing Hours

Clerks Office:

8:00 AM to 3:00 PM, Monday – Friday in Santa Cruz and Watsonville. A mail slot is provided for filings after 3:00 PM.

Come in the morning and avoid the lines.

Items must be received by 5:00 PM.

Phones are answered from 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM Monday – Friday.

Santa Cruz Juvenile Courts

The Juvenile Courts handle cases of children under 18 years of age who violate any law, or any children who are abused or neglected.

Children involved in divorce cases, or child custody or child support issues are served in Family Court, which is addressed on our Family Law pages.

If a child is accused of a crime, the case is heard in Juvenile Delinquency Court, which is located at the Watsonville Courthouse.

In cases involving allegations of abuse or neglect of a child the case is heard in Juvenile Dependency court which is located at the Watsonville Courthouse.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. My child was arrested and taken into custody. What will happen?
One of the following could occur:

  • The arresting officer may release your child back to your custody.
  • Your child may be referred to a community agency providing shelter, care, diversion or counseling.
  • Your child could be detained in Juvenile Hall. If your child is detained, the Probation Officer must take immediate steps to notify you.
  • Your child may be released to your custody with conditions and given a date to appear in court. If your child is not returned home, the law requires that a petition be filed, usually within 48 hours from the time the child is taken into custody. There will be a court hearing called a Detention/Arraignment hearing. You will be notified of this hearing date and time.
2. Does my child need an attorney?
Your child has the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford to hire an attorney for your child the court will appoint an attorney to represent him or her.
3. Will I be required to pay my child’s fees?
Yes. Unless you were the victim of your child’s crime, you will receive a bill from the county for various fees, including your child’s attorney’s fees; probation department service fees (such as food and laundry while your child was in Juvenile Hall); and, placement costs for keeping your child in state placement such as the California Department of Juvenile Justice, a probation camp, or an out of home placement. You will have a chance to show how much, if any, of these costs you are able to pay. The Juvenile Court does not make this determination.
4. My child received a citation what do I need to do?
It depends on the violation your child was cited for. Infractions (most moving violations) are handled through the traffic division. In that instance, the date at the bottom of the citation is a due date rather than a court date. If your child was cited for an infraction and does not receive a courtesy notice by the date on the citation, you need to contact the court.
5. How do I seal my Juvenile record?
You may submit a Petition to Seal to the Santa Cruz County Juvenile Probation Department or Santa Cruz County Superior Court Juvenile Division. A court date will be scheduled and notice sent to all parties. You may attend the hearing but it is not required unless you are noticed and ordered to appear. You will be notified of the Court’s decision by mail.

Contact Information

Office Location:
Superior Court of California,
County of Santa Cruz
1 Second Street, Room 300
Watsonville, CA 95076

Mailing Address:
Superior Court of California,
County of Santa Cruz
Juvenile Division
1 Second Street, Room 300
Watsonville, CA 95076


Filing Hours

Clerks Office:

8:00 AM to 3:00 PM, Monday – Friday in Santa Cruz and Watsonville. A mail slot is provided for filings after 3:00 PM.

Come in the morning and avoid the lines.

Items must be received by 5:00 PM.

Phones are answered from 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM Monday – Friday.

Santa Cruz Traffic Courts

Traffic Fines Online

Pay Traffic Fines  Look Up Your Ticket

Delinquent Fines:

For assistance in resolving your fine if it has been referred to the court’s collection agency, AllianceOne, please contact them directly at 1-877-541-8420 or contact them online at AllianceOne. 

A representative is available Monday-Friday 8am-12pm and 1pm-4pm daily at 701 Ocean Street, Room A1, Santa Cruz, CA 95060 (Located in the one story court building on the river side of the building).


Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I pay my citation?
  • On Line –
  • By mail – Santa Cruz Superior Court, 701 Ocean Street, Room 120, Santa Cruz, CA 95060 (Include your case or citation number)
  • In person – At the clerk’s office or by placing payment in a Drop Box

If you choose to pay the bail on the citation without going to trial, it is called a bail forfeiture. The citation is deemed paid, and the resulting conviction will be reported on your driving record. Pay on line.

  • Some violations require mandatory court appearance and cannot simply be paid.
  • If you meet certain qualifications you may attend traffic school for moving violations. (See question 8 for more information.)
  • If you would like a court trial you must post the bail to guarantee your appearance at the trial, or appear in court for an arraignment and ask for court trial date.
  • If there are any mechanical or insurance violations included in the citation,” proof of correction” will be required before you can pay the citation. (See question 7 for more information.)

Again, failure to appear or resolve your citation on or before the due date may result in a DMV hold being placed on your driver’s license and referral to the Court’s Collection Division.

2.What is a Courtesy Notice?
A courtesy notice is mailed to you at the address listed on the citation within 45 days of the date the ticket was issued. Make sure to carefully review both sides of the courtesy notice. The notice contains general information about requirements and options available for resolving the ticket, which may include:

  • Amount of bail, based on the violations and your prior driving history
  • Proof of correction requirements for mechanical violations
  • Mandatory court appearance requirements
  • Traffic school information


Failure to receive a courtesy notice is not a legal excuse for failing to take care of a citation. It is your responsibility to contact the Court on or before the appearance date. (When submitting payments and/or documents by mail, allow 14 days for delivery and processing.)

It is not mandatory that the court send you a courtesy notice. By signing the citation, in front of the officer, you have agreed to take care of the citation.


Failure to appear or failure to resolve a citation on or before the appearance date may result in one or all of the following:

  • A Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) hold being placed on your driver’s license
  • An additional Failure to Appear charge
  • A civil assessment charge of $300.00
3. What is a Civil Assessment charge?
Failure to comply with the appearance date on your citation or to pay your fines as directed will result in the court referring your case to a collections agency and adding an additional $300 fee pursuant to Penal Code section 1214.1.
4. Is the date at the bottom of my citation a Court Date?
It depends on the violation you were cited for. Infractions (most moving violations) are not mandatory court. Therefore, the date at the bottom of the citation is a due date rather than a court date. If you were cited for an infraction and do not receive a courtesy notice by the date on your citation, you need to contact the court. If you are unable to determine if your citation is for an infraction or a misdemeanor, you will need to contact the court.
5. May I request one of the following: A payment plan, Community Service, Bicycle Safety School or a fine reduction with my plea of Guilty or No Contest to my infraction(s) in lieu of a court appearance?
Yes. Complete this form and fax, mail or hand-deliver it to the court on or before your due date. The court will consider your request and you will be notified by mail of the bench officer’s decision. A $35.00 administrative fee will be added to the total bail for all payment plans. Fax to: 831 420-2263,  or mail to: Superior Court, Traffic, 701 Ocean Street, Room 120, Santa Cruz, CA 95060Note:  If requesting a fine reduction, payment plan, or community service hours you are forfeiting your opportunity to attend traffic school for eligible violations.
6. If I sign a payment plan, can I still set a court date and request my fine be reduced?
No, by signing a payment plan you are admitting guilt to the charges and promising to pay the fine amount plus the $35.00 administrative fee.
7. How do I obtain proof of correction
Corrections for most mechanical violations can be inspected by the Sheriff, California  Highway Patrol, the Department of Motor Vehicles, or other approved law enforcement agencies. You must also pay a $25.00 transaction fee for eachcorrectable violation per Vehicle Code section 40611(a).Proof of correction by an authorized law enforcement agency is to include:

  • Inspecting officer’s signature and printed name
  • Badge number
  • Registration and License Violations
  • Submit the proof of correction by having the police officer inspect your vehicle and validate your ticket.

If you were cited with a registration violation and have proof of valid registration from the DMV, you may submit a copy of your registration with the appropriate bail to the court. If you cannot provide proof for the vehicle cited, you will be required to pay the bail associated with that violation or appear in court.

Some violations, including, but not limited to, sections 12500, 14601, and 23109 of the vehicle Code may require a mandatory court appearance. Contact the court for further information.

Insurance Violations

If you did not have financial responsibility (e.g. insurance) at the time the ticket was issued, you may pay the full bail for this violation, schedule a court date for arraignment and/or purchase insurance for a reduction in bail.

If you were insured at the time the citation was issued, but were unable to provide proof of financial responsibility (insurance) to the officer who cited you, you may either:

  • Submit proof by mail, as described below, with a $25.00 transaction fee (40611(a )VC )

– OR-

Certain insurance violations are not correctable or dismissible by the Clerk of the Court and require payment of full bail or court appearance.

Acceptable proof of financial responsibility must be in the form of a document issued by the insurer and MUST include the following information:

  • Name of the insurance carrier
  • The VIN number (vehicle identification number)
  • Policy number
  • Effective dates of coverage (an effective date prior to the date the citation was issued is required for dismissal of the charge)
  • Name of the person who received the citation AND the vehicle listed on the citation

If the proof does not show all of the information as listed above, the total bail amount must be paid or a court appearance is required. The Clerk of the Court does not have discretion to accept proof of financial responsibility that varies in content from what is specifically listed above.

8. Am I eligible to attend Traffic School?
Traffic School attendance is a program that allows certain moving violators to receive instruction in driving and traffic safety. Your courtesy notice will indicate if you appear to be eligible for traffic school.  Be advised that by requesting and signing up for traffic school, you are entering an admission of guilt for the charge. Only persons meeting the following criteria established by the Judicial Council of the State of California are permitted to attend Traffic School :

  • You must currently possess a valid CA driver’s license.
  • You have not attended Traffic School in this jurisdiction, or any other jurisdiction in California within any 18 month period calculated from violation date to violation date.
  • Your ticket must not have defaulted to a failure to appear.
  • The violation(s) on your ticket must be traffic school eligible.
  • You must have a non-commercial driver’s license
  • The violation occurred in a non-commercial vehicle
  • The citation is for a violation of the Vehicle Code section 20001 (accident with injury or death), 20002 (hit and run), 23103 (reckless driving), 23104 (reckless driving-bodily injury), 23105 *reckless driving-specific injury), 2340 (minor BAC .05 or greater) 23152 (DUI), 23153 (DUI with injury) or 23103.5 (reckless drive alcohol related.)

The following violations are not eligible:

  • Any violation that carries a negligent operator point count of more than one point.
  • Any speeding violation in which the speed cited is 26 miles per hour or more over the posted speed limit.
  • Seatbelt violations.
  • Mechanical or equipment violations.
  • Failure to have insurance.
  • Registration violations.
  • License violations.
  • Alcohol related violations.
  • Other certain specified violations.

For violations committed on or after July 1, 2011, the court may, after a deposit and forfeiture of bail, a guilty or no contest plea, or a conviction in court, continue the case for successful completion of Traffic School.  The court will report completion of Traffic School to DMV as a “confidential conviction”, rather than as a dismissal.  In cases where Traffic School is not completed, or the defendant was not legally eligible for Traffic School, the DMV will remove the confidentiality of the conviction from the driver’s record and the conviction and violation point will appear on the driver’s license record at DMV.

To attend Traffic School, a non-refundable traffic school fee equivalent to the citation bail amount, plus $52.00, must be paid to the Court.   You must post the entire bail amount prior to attending Traffic School.  You are not eligible for a fine reduction, payment plan or community service hours.  The Traffic School of your choice will charge you an additional fee to attend their program.

There are three alternatives for paying Traffic School fees:

You will be given 90 days to complete a program. If you submit satisfactory proof of completion by your traffic school date, the citation will be reported to the DMV as a confidential conviction. If you sign up for Traffic School and fail to file the certificate of completion by the due date, the traffic school fee you paid will be deemed as bail and forfeited. DMV will be notified of the conviction.

NOTICE:  If you are eligible and decide not to attend traffic school your automobile insurance may be adversely affected.  One conviction in any 18-month period will be held confidential and not show on your driving record if you complete a traffic violator school program. 

A Trial by Written Declaration is a procedure whereby, instead of going to court for a trial on your citation, you mail or bring in a written statement on a Trial by Written Declaration form explaining the facts of your case and why you think the court should rule in your favor. You may also include any documentary evidence you feel is helpful. The officer who issued the citation will also be asked to submit a written statement.In order to proceed via Trial by Written Declaration, you must waive your rights to appear, to testify in person, and to subpoena witnesses. The court will issue a ruling based solely on the submitted documentation. You must also include a written declaration stating to the Court that you wish to plead NOT GUILTY, in addition to the Judicial Council Trial By Declaration form and any documentary evidence you wish the Court to consider.You will be required to deposit the bail amount in advance at the time you submit the Trial by Written Declaration.If you are found guilty, your bail deposit will be applied toward the fine, if one is imposed. If the fine is suspended or if you are found not guilty, your bail will be refunded by mail to you at the address listed on your case, usually within six to eight weeks.

Contact Information

Office Location:
Superior Court of California,
County of Santa Cruz
701 Ocean Street, Room 120
Santa Cruz, CA 95060

Mailing Address:
Superior Court of California,
County of Santa Cruz
Traffic Division
701 Ocean Street, Room 120
Santa Cruz, CA 95060

(831) 420-2200

Filing Hours:

Clerks Office:

8:00 AM to 3:00 PM, Monday – Friday in Santa Cruz and Watsonville. A mail slot is provided for filings after 3:00 PM.

Come in the morning and avoid the lines.

Items must be received by 5:00 PM.

Phones are answered from 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM Monday – Friday.

Santa Cruz Self Help Center

The Santa Cruz Superior Court offers a free Self Help Center (SHC) to assist self represented customers with a variety of basic legal issues.  The SHC includes the services of the Family Law Facilitator and the Small Claims Advisor.  Below you will find a list of legal issues the SHC can assist you with.  This page also provides other internet and community legal resources that may be helpful to you.

The Self Help Center can provide court forms and legal information for the following legal issues:

  • Family Law: Including, but not limited to, divorce, child support, child custody
  • Evictions (residential)
  • Name Changes/Gender Change
  • Emancipation
  • Guardianship of the person
  • Restraining Orders: Domestic Violence, Civil Harassment, Elder Abuse
  • Small Claims: Limited hours – see below
  • Limited Civil (contract cases): Limited hours – see below
  • Conservatorship of the person: Limited hours – see below
  • Provide community and legal resources

Please read the “come prepared section” at the bottom of this page.
In general please note the following:

  • Customers receive service at the Self Help Center on a first come, first serve basis.
  • We suggest you arrive before the session starts to ensure a spot in line (sessions start at 8:30 AM and 1 PM).  Sessions often fill up before the stated closure times.
  • The Self Help Center is not a safe place for children.  Children are not allowed at the Self Help Center.
  • We can not assist you if you have an attorney of record.


Small Claims, Civil, Conservatorships

Small Claims Program:

  • Small Claims Advisor Phone Line: 831-786-7370. Phone Consultation Tuesday 1:30 PM to 4:00 PM.
  • Messages can be left at anytime. Calls are returned once a week.
  • Watsonville: Walk in assistance Tuesday and Thursday 8:30 AM to 11:30 AM, only after phone consultation.
  • Santa Cruz Only: Evening Workshops once every other month in the Law Library at 701 Ocean Street, Santa Cruz: Workshop Schedule

Civil Program:

  • Watsonville: Walk in assistance Tuesday and Thursday 8:30 to11:30 AM.
    Breach of contract (collection) cases only.

Conservatorship/Elder Abuse Program:

  • Santa Cruz: Monday 8:30 AM – 12:30 PM, Law Library, 701 Ocean Street, Santa Cruz, Basement
  • Watsonville: Thursday 8:30 AM – 12:30 PM, Self Help Center, 1 Second Street, Watsonville, Room 301

Community Resources:

There are many other low cost or no cost community, legal and internet resources that might be helpful to you.  Please see the following for more information:


Please read the following information so that you can have the best possible experience at the Self Help Center.

How to come prepared to use the Self Help Center?
The Self Help Center , which includes the services of the Family Law Facilitator, helps people who need legal information but do not have lawyers. The Center can give you information, court forms, and help you understand your legal options. We cannot represent you and in most cases you will be required to fill out your own court forms with our guidance. We only help with very simple legal situations, often we may need to refer you to a private attorney or to the law library for you to do your own legal research. We help many people each day therefore we usually spend less than 15 minutes with each person and there can be a long wait. We are not responsible for the outcome of your case. Conversations with the Self Help Center are not confidential, we do assist parties on both sides of the case, and we can not assist you if you are currently represented by an attorney.

Court Programs

The County and community agencies offer a number of education and treatment programs for persons who are mandated by the court to attend them. These programs include drug-deferred judgment for persons convicted of minor first-time drug offenses, drinking driver programs, Drug Court, Proposition 36, and Jail Transition Counselor services.

Deferred Judgment Drug Program

Formerly known as “Drug Diversion,” this program provides an opportunity for first-time offenders to avoid incarceration and criminal conviction by participating in education and counseling as a condition of probation. Offender’s are monitored for attendance, compliance, and progress. Should the offender continue to violate the law or fail to complete the program, the court will consider more appropriate sentencing. Call (831)454-4110 for information.

Drinking Driver Program

This program offers information about various DUI programs and refers offenders to one of the county contracted providers. For information, call (831)454-4110.

Drug Court

Drug Court is a collaboration between the County of Santa Cruz Superior Court, Health Services Agency’s Mental Health & Substance Abuse Services division, the Probation Department, and the Alto Counseling Center. Also involved are the District Attorney’s Office, the Sheriff’s Office and the Public Defender’s Office. Through close coordination of treatment services and the criminal justice system, Drug Treatment Court clients are ensured quick access to treatment and receive immediate feedback and consequences for both positive and negative behaviors as they work toward recovery. Call (831)454-3385 for information.

Proposition 36

Proposition 36 services include assessment and treatment services for persons who are convicted on non-violent, non-sales drug offenses. Completion of Proposition 36 treatment services provides an alternative to going to jail or prison. Eligibility for the program is determined by the District Attorney or Parole Officer. All referrals are made by the Court, Probation Department and State Parole.

Jail Transitions

Jail Transition counselors work with the courts to provide assessment and placement of court-referred clients in residential treatment. For information call (831)454-4223.